1. Endowed with or manifesting life; living. "Chaplets of gold and silver resembling lively flowers and leaves." (Holland)
2. Brisk; vivacious; active; as, a lively youth. "But wherefore comes old Manoa in such haste, With youthful steps ? Much livelier than erewhile He seems." (Milton)
3. Gay; airy; animated; spirited. "From grave to gay, from lively to severe." (Pope)
4. Representing life; lifelike. "I spied the lively picture of my father." (Massinger)
5. Bright; vivid; glowing; strong; vigorous. "The colours of the prism are manifestly more full, intense, and lively that those of natural bodies." (Sir I. Newton) "His faith must be not only living, but lively too." (South) Lively stones, saints, as being quickened by the Spirit, and active in holiness.
Synonyms: Brisk, vigorous, quick, nimble, smart, active, alert, sprightly, animated, spirited, prompt, earnest, strong, energetic, vivid, vivacious, blithe, gleeful, airy, gay, jocund.
Origin: For lifely. Cf. Lifelike.
(01 Mar 1998)