<geology> A conglomerate or grit rock, consisting of rounded pebbles sand firmly united together.

This term, derved from the grauwacke of German miners, was formerly applied in geology to different grits and slates of the Silurian series; but it is now seldom used.

Origin: G. Grauwacke; grau gray + wacke wacke. See Gray, and Wacke, and cf. Grauwacke.

(01 Mar 1998)

gray substance, gray syndrome, gray tuber, gray tubercle < Prev | Next > gray wedge, gray wing, GRE, GRE

Bookmark with: icon icon icon icon iconword visualiser Go and visit our forums Community Forums