The vertical triangular portion of the end of a building, from the level of the cornice or eaves to the ridge of the roof. Also, a similar end when not triangular in shape, as of a gambrel roof and the like. Hence:

The end wall of a building, as distinguished from the front or rear side.

A decorative member having the shape of a triangular gable, such as that above a Gothic arch in a doorway. Bell gable. See Bell. Gable roof, a double sloping roof which forms a gable at each end. Gable wall. Same as Gable . Gable window, a window in a gable.

Origin: OE. Gable, gabil, F. Gable, fr. LL. Gabalum front of a building, prob. Of German or Scand. Origin; cf. OHG. Gibil, G. Giebel gable, Icel. Gafl, Goth. Gibla pinnacle; perh. Akin to Gr. Head, and E. Cephalic, or to G. Gabel fork, AS. Geafl, E. Gaffle, L. Gabalus a kind of gallows.

(01 Mar 1998)

gabase, gabbro, gabel, gabexate, gabion < Prev | Next > gabon, gabonase, Gaboon ulcer

Bookmark with: icon icon icon icon iconword visualiser Go and visit our forums Community Forums