4. To move or pass swiftly; to hasten away; to circulate rapidly; as, a ship flies on the deep; a top flies around; rumor flies. "Fly, envious Time, till thou run out thy race." (Milton) "The dark waves murmured as the ships flew on." (Bryant)
5. To run from danger; to attempt to escape; to flee; as, an enemy or a coward flies. See Note under Flee. "Fly, ere evil intercept thy flight." (Milton) "Whither shall I fly to escape their hands ?" (Shak)
6. To move suddenly, or with violence; to do an act suddenly or swiftly; usually with a qualifying word; as, a door flies open; a bomb flies apart. To fly about To let go suddenly and entirely; as, to let fly the sheets.
Origin: OE. Fleen, fleen, fleyen, flegen, AS. Fleogan; akin to D. Vliegen, ONG. Fliogan, G. Fliegen, Icel. Fljga, Sw. Flyga, Dan. Flyve, Goth. Us-flaugjan to cause to fly away, blow about, and perh. To L. Pluma feather, E. Plume. 84. Cf. Fledge, Flight, Flock of animals.
Origin: OE. Flie, flege, AS. Fl?ge, fleoge, fr. Fleogan to fly; akin to D. Vlieg, OHG. Flioga, G. Fliege, Icel. & Sw. Fluga, Dan. Flue. 84. See Fly.
1. <entomology> Any winged insect; especially, one with transparent wings; as, the Spanish fly; firefly; gall fly; dragon fly. Any dipterous insect; as, the house fly; flesh fly; black fly. See Diptera, and Illust. In Append.
4. A parasite.
9. <mechanics> Two or more vanes set on a revolving axis, to act as a fanner, or to equalize or impede the motion of machinery by the resistance of the air, as in the striking part of a clock. A heavy wheel, or cross arms with weights at the ends on a revolving axis, to regulate or equalize the motion of machinery by means of its inertia, where the power communicated, or the resistance to be overcome, is variable, as in the steam engine or the coining press. See Fly wheel (below).
17. A batted ball that flies to a considerable distance, usually high in the air; also, the flight of a ball so struck; as, it was caught on the fly. Black fly, Cheese fly, Dragon fly, etc. See Black, Cheese, etc.
(01 Mar 1998)
|Bookmark with:||word visualiser||Go and visit our forums|