<zoology> One of the anterior pair of wings in the Coleoptera and some other insects, when they are thick and serve only as a protection for the posterior pair.

One of the shieldlike dorsal scales of certain annelids.

See: Coleoptera.

Origin: NL, fr. Gr, fr. To roll round.

(26 Mar 1998)

elytriform, elytrin, elytro-, elytroid < Prev | Next > EM, EM, em-, EM-1

Bookmark with: icon icon icon icon iconword visualiser Go and visit our forums Community Forums