|Windows NT 5 -->|
<operating system> (Win2k, W2k, NT5, Windows NT 5.0) An operating system developed by Microsoft Corporation for PCs and servers, as the successor to Windows NT 4.0. Early beta versions were referred to as "Windows NT 5.0". Windows 2000 was officially released on 01 May 2000.
It is available in four flavours:
- Server: "entry-level" server, designed for small deployments, and departmental file, print, or intranet servers.
- Advanced Server: high throughput, larger scale servers and applications, and small to medium scale websites.
- Data Center Server: software for large-scale server clusters (in development as of 01 May 2000).
New features in Windows 2000 include:
- Terminal services for displaying application interfaces on remote computers (similar to X-Windows).
- File protection that prevents user programs from accidentally deleting or overwriting critical system files.
- Improved user interface, including a single point to control the entire system.
- Improved management tools, including remote administration.
Many operating systems compete with Windows 2000, including the Apple MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, Hewlett-Packard HP-UX, SGI Irix. Novell's NDS also provides a service similar to Active Directory.
(01 Jul 2002)
|Bookmark with:||word visualiser||Go and visit our forums|