1. Moving or advancing by running. Specifically, of a horse; Having a running gait; not a trotter or pacer.
Trained and kept for running races; as, a running horse.
2. Successive; one following the other without break or intervention; said of periods of time; as, to be away two days running; to sow land two years running.
3. Flowing; easy; cursive; as, a running hand.
4. Continuous; keeping along step by step; as, he stated the facts with a running explanation. "A running conquest." "What are art and science if not a running commentary on Nature?" (Hare)
5. <botany> Extending by a slender climbing or trailing stem; as, a running vine.
6. <medicine> Discharging pus; as, a running sore.
<medicine> Running block, the title of a book or chapter continued from page to page on the upper margin.
(01 Mar 1998)
run-length encoding, Run Length Limited, runner, runner's condition < Prev | Next >
running time, runny nose, runoff
© mondofacto 2008-10 | about us | advertise with us | disclaimer | privacy & cookies | contact us