home

Definition of Mormon

suggest new definitions and improvements, or report problems

Definition of Mormon

Postby max77 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 pm

I would like to propose a more accurate definition for the word "mormon" in this dictionary, please. The current definition on the site deviates from that given here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon.

Something like this would be more accurate:

Mormon:

A term which most often refers to a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the largest denomination originating from the Latter Day Saint movement founded by Joseph Smith, Jr.

Joseph Smith declared that an angel of God had led him to uncover a set of ancient gold plates. These plates described a history of the peoples of the American continents, including the visit of Jesus Christ to the Americas following his resurrection. The translation of these plates is known as "The Book of Mormon." Mormons believe that The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, in addition to the bible. The term "Mormon" is a nickname that refers to those who believe in The Book of Mormon.

Some early Mormons practiced polygamy, a practice that the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially abolished in 1890. Mormons believe in a living prophet and apostles of Jesus Christ, who give spiritual direction to church members.
max77

Re: Definition of Mormon

Postby socio » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 am

I think it would be better defined as a follower of Mormonism, which in its turn would be a religious movement(I suppose?), which etc etc.. the things you've mentioned above. Sociopath
socio

Postby stef13 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

An ancient prophet believed to have compiled a sacred history of the Americas web application mania, which were translated and published by Joseph Smith as the Book of Mormon in 1830.
Last edited by stef13 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
stef13

Postby lacoste » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:25 am

It's hard, I know. Mormonism isn't just a "belief," being a mormon wraps up your entire social life and family life in the belief system. And mormon parents are constantly being told that if their children "fall away," they're to blame -- so your parents, to avoid being blamed in their community for failing, aren't going to let you go easily.
Gamefly
lacoste

Return to dictionary