home

New Online Medical Dictionary

suggest new definitions and improvements, or report problems

New Online Medical Dictionary

Postby mondo primus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Welcome to the new home of the Online Medical Dictionary.

We welcome your comments and suggestions for new entries and improvements. Please share your thoughts and requests and we will try to incorporate as many into the updates.
mondo primus

Re: New Online Medical Dictionary

Postby aljudo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 am

Thank you Mondo Primus and all the other team members at Mondofacto. I am sure your efforts are appreciated by one and all even if they go unvoiced.

I've been using the On-Line Medical Dictionary ever since I joined the Histopathology fraternity and find it immensely helpful. I have one suggestion for improvement though. Along with the definition / meaning of a medical term could you please include a hyperlink (to audio) to give the correct pronounciation (similar to Merriam-Webster Online). This would be greatly beneficial especially in cases of compounded medical terms. Thanks in advance. Cheers! Al Judo.
aljudo

Postby mondo primus » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks for the excellent suggestion. This is most definitely on our wish list too. Finding the time to say and record 167,000 keywords is the issue, but we are working on it.

Many thanks for the feedback and I am glad that you find the dictionary helpful.
mondo primus

Postby karthikreddy.999 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi, Great work but i could not find the other options that we used to have before in the old version like "SUBJECT" . I think that is really helpful pls include that in the new version too.....thanks in advance for the great work...
karthikreddy.999

Postby karthikreddy.999 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 pm

And also the home page of the older version is better than the home page of new dictionary....pls make new version too sinmilar to the older one....pls make sure that we have all the options available which makes the search easy..which makes this dictionary loved by many... :|
karthikreddy.999

Postby mondo primus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:41 pm

So you found the subjects page useful. We found that fewer people were using it to navigate and therefroe removed it, but what you are suggesting is that it is helpful.

The difficulty arises as we add more definitions as for some subjects there are several thousand entries listed for an individual subject.

What could we implement to make it more useful for you ?
mondo primus

Postby Textpertise » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 pm

I would be grateful if you could also retain the list of preceding and subsequent words in the dictionary. Even as a highly experienced medical secretary, when a practitioner mumbles an obscure term on an audio tape, I am not always entirely certain of what word has been said and it is very helpful to have similar sounding words preceding and following the term searched for.
Textpertise

Postby miss mondo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Textpertise,

Thanks for your feedback, you are not the only user to miss this function! We will see if we can bring it back or add a 'similar words' function as we develop the website over the coming weeks.

Many thanks,

Miss M
miss mondo

Postby Passion for Success » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Thank you so much! this is a revolution!
One way to improve this service, is by using illustrations. That would be extremley useful.
Passion for Success

Postby miss mondo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Passion for Success,

We would like to eventually have encyclopedic-style entries including illustrations, it's just going to take a while to write/draw then all! :P

Thanks for your comments!

Miss M
miss mondo

Postby karthikreddy.999 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 am

Great work People, Good to see u people responding to my post....
the entries by subject option back, It basically helps students and may be doctors to browse in the areas where they are not expertise ....anyways, Keep it up...and thank u for taking my suggestion.
karthikreddy.999

Postby bob fossil » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 pm

wow the changes you guys have made are great.

This new site seems to be a lot better than the omd now, what with the new features added to the dictionary, along with those study skills, and this forum.

Great work mondofacto!
bob fossil

Postby Taps » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:29 pm

I respect and appreciate the dictionary makers and keepers, and I have for many years. The change though is not coming easy to me.

I am disheartened that I cannot open up the dictionary on a letter of the alphabet and search the entire dictionary by first letter. I am a medical transcriptionist, and I need to find any word that a doctor, nurse, or technician may say or even mispronounce. Sometimes I only have vague sounds to go on, and in foreign accents. The ability to open by letter of the alphabet was my favorite feature, as I could search the web page for syllables or parts of a word that I new I had heard correctly. It would improve this site to be able to open up by first letter again--and then I would find this site a blessing and superior to the last.

Another way to improve this dictionary--and the last one--would be to have a way of searching the entire dictionary for parts of a word. In all contexts this would be of beneficial, as there are times that one does not hear or perceive the first letter correctly or in trying to remember a word, perhaps only the root is coming to mind, and yet the need remains to have the whole term. An example would be in trying to spell, akathisia--thinking it begins with a "k" or "k" sound--and, for the latter, trying to recall what MRSA is, for example, knowing only "It's staph something." ... It's methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus.

I thank you very much. I do appreciate the many years of hard work and attention that have gone into this website.

Sincerely,

Joyce
Taps

Website integration of Online Medical Dictionary

Postby Medical_transcriber » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi:

I just landed over to your wonderful website and couldn't stop myself registering on. I have a website named TranscriptionHelp and I was wondering if there's a way I could add a Mondo search box on my search page which currently has only Google search. It would be of great help to the medical transcribers for finding medical terms online. I am eagerly looking forward to your suggestion. Thanks.
Medical_transcriber

Re: Website integration of Online Medical Dictionary

Postby mondo mod » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Medical_transcriber wrote:Hi:

I just landed over to your wonderful website and couldn't stop myself registering on. I have a website named TranscriptionHelp and I was wondering if there's a way I could add a Mondo search box on my search page which currently has only Google search. It would be of great help to the medical transcribers for finding medical terms online. I am eagerly looking forward to your suggestion. Thanks.

Hi Medical_transcriber. Welcome to the forum, glad you like it :)

We have a guide on how to add the search box to your website here: http://www.mondofacto.com/dictionary/linking.html

If you have any problems dont hesitate to ask..
mondo mod
Site Admin

Next

Return to dictionary