home

New Online Medical Dictionary

suggest new definitions and improvements, or report problems

Re: New Online Medical Dictionary

Postby mondo primus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:52 am

I am disheartened that I cannot open up the dictionary on a letter of the alphabet and search the entire dictionary by first letter. I am a medical transcriptionist, and I need to find any word that a doctor, nurse, or technician may say or even mispronounce. Sometimes I only have vague sounds to go on, and in foreign accents. The ability to open by letter of the alphabet was my favorite feature, as I could search the web page for syllables or parts of a word that I new I had heard correctly. It would improve this site to be able to open up by first letter again--and then I would find this site a blessing and superior to the last.

Thanks for this. We have removed the letters of the alphabet pages as now we have added more content (and more to come), these pages are several thousand entries long and they became overloaded. Instead we are working on the search facility to allow users to locate more accurately and this should become available once fully tested for reliability. We are also working on similar sounding words to allow better retrieval.
mondo primus

Re: Website integration of Online Medical Dictionary

Postby Medical_transcriber » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi:

A couple of things to tell you. One, searching a term takes a user away from my site, and two, I made a few searches myself and couldn't find some common terms i.e. 'Ectopic Reentry Tachycardia', Zantrex etc. If the transcribers looked for the same term on Google perhaps they would either find it or come closer to that. However, I will take some time to put some research on how best could it best fit on my site.
Medical_transcriber

Postby madame mondo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi medical_transcriber

In response to the issue of users being directed away from your site when they search for a term, we have added some code that directs users to a definition that appears in a new window or tab in their browser. Would this be more statisfactory? You'll find the code here: http://www.mondofacto.com/dictionary/linking.html

Our dictionary is free content, and I'm sure you appreciate that we need to raise revenue through advertising, so it's important to us that users visit our site too. We are currently working on a development that would allow other sites to licence the dictionary for a fee, which would enable that site to display our content.

To address the missing definitions you identified: Zantrex is a proprietary drug name, which is trademark protected - we (and other dictionary providers) are not permitted to include trademarked products, but we do have definitions for a large number of generic drugs.

Although a search for the phrase 'ectopic reentry tachycardia' does not return a definition, a search for 'ectopic tachycardia' does. A search for 'reentry' returns a definition as applied to ectopic tachycardia. We are currently working on developing a feature that would display similar sounding words, which will make searching easier, and overcome many of the issues presented by searching for an exact phrase such as 'ectopic reentry tachycardia'. We are writing an introductory medical terminology course that will be freely available to all users; this will help users who are not experienced in medical terminology to understand how medical phrases and terms are constructed, which in turn will help them search the dictionary more effectively.

We are also working on adding some dictionary seaching tips to the help pages, and these should enable users to find what they are looking for more easily.

I hope all this helps. Please get in touch with any other suggestions or comments you have - many of our users are medical secretaries and transcibers, and we are always interested in ways we can make the dictionary more useful to these users.
madame mondo

Postby mondo primus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Taps wrote:I respect and appreciate the dictionary makers and keepers, and I have for many years. The change though is not coming easy to me.

I am disheartened that I cannot open up the dictionary on a letter of the alphabet and search the entire dictionary by first letter. I am a medical transcriptionist, and I need to find any word that a doctor, nurse, or technician may say or even mispronounce. Sometimes I only have vague sounds to go on, and in foreign accents. The ability to open by letter of the alphabet was my favorite feature, as I could search the web page for syllables or parts of a word that I new I had heard correctly. It would improve this site to be able to open up by first letter again--and then I would find this site a blessing and superior to the last.

We have now reinstated and improved the original A to Z listing. This is available from the dictionary home page and each letter is further divided by second letter of the alphabet (Aa, Ab, Ac etc.). This allows users to list a range of related words and the listing contains words across all of our dictionaries.

Many thanks for the feedback and comments and we shall continue to try and add the features suggested.
mondo primus

Postby lanceaugust31 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 pm

You are writing an introductory medical terminology course that will be freely available to all users so this is a great resource for every user related on medical studies...
lanceaugust31

Postby mondo mod » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

lanceaugust31 wrote:You are writing an introductory medical terminology course that will be freely available to all users so this is a great resource for every user related on medical studies...

This course is now available

http://www.mondofacto.com/courses/medic ... ology.html
mondo mod
Site Admin

Previous

Return to dictionary