home

Suggest definitions and improvements

suggest new definitions and improvements, or report problems

Suggest definitions and improvements

Postby madame mondo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Looked for a definition that's not there?
Think some definitions could be improved?
Think other definitions could benefit from a total rewrite?
Then let us know!

We know that many of you are experts in your fields, so if you'd like to use your expertise to help to improve the dictionary, post your defintions, improvements or rewrites in this forum topic or email them to us.

If we use your definition, we will give you an acknowledgement on that page, so other users know you've contributed - and you can bask in the warm glow of their gratitude. :D
madame mondo

Re: Suggest definitions and improvements

Postby Passion for Success » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi Miss Mondo!

I've got an idea for improving this fabulous site! How about "Word of the Day" ..? Every time you visit the main site of mondofacto, there could be a random word and its definition, or maybe, disease of the day??

I think i suggested this earlier, but what about illustrations or diagrams to match definitions?

Would love to know what you think!

x
Passion for Success

Postby madame mondo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Passion!

Thanks for your suggestions.

We think a 'word/disease of the day' would be great - our techies will explore the best way of doing it, so keep an eye out for developments.

Illustrations and diagrams are definitely something we'd like to do as we get encyclopaedia-style entries for more definitions, but, as you can appreciate, this will be a big project that will take some time to implement.

Keep your suggestions coming - we love to hear from users :D
madame mondo

Postby ilovechemistry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Just noticed there's a missing definition;

Hypernea (physiology) = increased ventilation to match increased metabolic demand.

Eg. the increased need for oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide elimination during exercise.

:D
ilovechemistry

Postby janet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:39 am

I don't like your medical dictionary. Its limited vocabulary is frustrating. What happened to, for instance, cryoablative? That was my first attempt. So far: failure. Sorry. Also, your site is too elaborate -- I need an express lane. Then again, online resource sites are all sort of like this one: Too many obstacles. Anyway, thanks for trying, and the opportunity of this commentary.

Goodbye for now.
janet

Postby mondo primus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks for the comments.

I appreciate that cryoablative is not there but cryoablation is:

http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?cryoablation

You can try stemming your words by taking letters of the end and this will display derivative words. We do not have every adverb derivative of verbs in the dictionary but we are working on it.

We have 160,000 words with definitions and this is more than most other medical dictionaries available. We are striving to continuously add more content and new words and welcome your suggestion.
mondo primus

Postby janet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:39 am

mondo primus wrote:Thanks for the comments.

I appreciate that cryoablative is not there but cryoablation is:

http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?cryoablation

You can try stemming your words by taking letters of the end and this will display derivative words. We do not have every adverb derivative of verbs in the dictionary but we are working on it.

We have 160,000 words with definitions and this is more than most other medical dictionaries available. We are striving to continuously add more content and new words and welcome your suggestion.

OK, I forgot to try the simpler form, but that omission brings up another problem: your former dictionary was better because its by-the-letter format helped us uncover needed terms by weeding through a palette of related roots and grammatically linked forms. As others have remarked here, much of the usefulness of any medical dictionary for the layperson is having an array of possible terms from which to choose, terms we can test for contextual soundness through online journals and other sources, until we hit on the right one. Without such a visual aid, we are left virtually helpless.

Anyhow, good luck in your extension plans. I hope your improvements are wide-ranging, from A-Z you might say!

Thanks. Goodbye again. For now. Oh, PS: how can I turn off those damned smiles on my left margins? They freak me out! Thanks. Now, that's it.

--jb
janet

Postby madame mondo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Just noticed there's a missing definition;

Hypernea (physiology) = increased ventilation to match increased metabolic demand.

Eg. the increased need for oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide elimination during exercise.

Hi ilovechemistry,

Thanks for pointing that out. If you search for the UK spelling - hypernoea - you'll find the definition is included: http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?hypernoea

However, when a search for the US version - hypernea - it should redirect you to the definition with a UK spelling, which is not happening with this word - so thanks for alerting us to this. We will fix the problem as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you notice any other missing definitions.

Best wishes,
madame mondo
madame mondo

Postby mondo primus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:40 pm

janet wrote:
mondo primus wrote:OK, I forgot to try the simpler form, but that omission brings up another problem: your former dictionary was better because its by-the-letter format helped us uncover needed terms by weeding through a palette of related roots and grammatically linked forms. As others have remarked here, much of the usefulness of any medical dictionary for the layperson is having an array of possible terms from which to choose, terms we can test for contextual soundness through online journals and other sources, until we hit on the right one.

We have now added an A-Z feature which can be accessed from the dictionary home page at:
http://www.mondofacto.com/dictionary/

This will allow you to see words above and below the one that you are searching for.
mondo primus

Postby janet » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:57 am

mondofacto;

Yea! That's more like it. Looks good and is a relief to see. Now I can put you all back on my office (and home) desktop as my number one medical term source.

Thanks. And congratulations for your thoughtful (at least so far) expansion efforts.

--jb
janet

Return to dictionary