home

Study skills are coming...

discuss mondofacto study skills courses, swap advice and suggest new courses

Study skills are coming...

Postby madame mondo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Hello

If you've been browsing the site, you've probably noticed the study skills section. If you're a student with exams or dissertations and project deadlines looming, you'll be glad to hear that you won't have long to wait before the first study skills topics appear - we're aiming for the end of January.

While you wait, I thought I'd come to the forums and explain a bit of the thinking behind the study skills section. Some of us here at mondofacto are recent graduates, and we all felt we could have used some help with things we were clueless about like writing literature reviews, abstracts, referencing, getting the right academic tone...the list was pretty long! We talked to uni students and found many of them felt the same way. This inspired us to write the study skills topics.

You might be thinking there's already plenty of study skills advice in books and on the web, and we'd agree with you, but we thought we could do something a bit different. Study skills are a necessary evil: they're not exciting, but you need them if you're going to get a good degree. We've tried to make our study skills topics as painless (and fun!) as possible. And we've organised them so you can dip in whenever you need to, without having to wade through loads of stuff you don't need.The study skills topics have lots of activities for you to do, so you're not just reading loads of dull text. But the really clever bit is that many of these activities let you work on assignments you need to do for your course, so you're honing your study skills and getting the job done at the same time, which has to be good.

Study skills are often 'transferable skills', things like written communication skills (that's writing to you and me), negotiating (plenty of that in group work), and research skills. In many of the topics, we've highlighted where study skills are transferable skills, and how you can use them get a great job.

And, best of all, they're free!

If you've any study skills questions, or you'd like to suggests study skills topics you'd find useful, post here and I'll get back to you.

Best, Madame mondo
madame mondo

Re: Study skills are coming...

Postby sirus » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:49 pm

They sound really useful.

Keep up the good work mondofacto.
sirus

Return to study skills